This Sunday is my sorority’s Senior Banquet. This is when all the seniors say “last words” to sisters and pass down their Alpha Phi letters and t-shirts. This year is a little different for me though because my big is graduating. I get to give a little speech to her (without crying) and remind her of the impact she’s made in my life. I’m sad and excited at the same time. I know she’s going to be just fine in the real world, I’m just not sure I’m ready for her to graduate?!
In her honor I will do a mini segment known as Lessons From My Big
1. Love the Redskins. My first time meeting her she talked about how she met Chris Cooley. I knew the name…but could not figure it out. Google does wonders.
2. You don’t have to be a housewife to be domestic. She has taught me by example that any college girl can cook for themselves! She makes it seem like we DO NOT need Taco Tuesday or Panera every day…oops. My big can seriously cook/bake/clean ANYTHING! She’s not the type of girl to vacuum in an apron and high heels, but she would probably beat any of those 1960’s women in a cooking challenge.
3. Put others first. My big is one of the most selfless people I know. She is always looking out for others (including me!) She has taught me to be more caring and give to those around me in need of help. My big has the biggest heart!
4. How to dress professional. My first “formal” chapter meeting I MAY have worn a tiny skirt. My big made me go change. At the time I was annoyed, but knowing what I know now, she saved me from humiliation. Let’s just say high-school-and-blogless-Kathryn did not know how to dress accordingly!
5. Every little thing is going to be alright. My big is probably the only person outside my family that can make my bad day good and my good days PHI-nomenal! Sometimes we all just need a reminder that the bad times are going to end and in perspective, it’s really not as bad as you think it is!
6. Strength. Yes, my big is giving/caring but she doesn’t let herself get walked all over. She knows who she is and what she wants in her life and embraces that. Oh and did I mention she boxes?!
In conclusion, my big has been a great role model. She has had such a big influence on me ever since she took me as her little and has always been there for me. I know neither of these things are done/will change.
Big, I love you to the moon and backkkk!
PS. HUGE shout out to my biological big sister Alexandra! Good luck on your test today!!!!!